I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Critique Partners

With the WriteOn Online Conference taking place at the moment it seems quite timely to talk about critique partners. Do you have a critique partner for your work?

I've recently met a fantastic woman who shares picture book manuscripts with me, and it's made me realize just how useful it is to have another person who you can sound out for ideas, who can tell you that this particular sentence just does not work, and who can give you a much-needed reality check.

The interesting issue, though, is how you find your critique partner to start with? Do you get together with family or friends (always a tricky one, as you can never be sure they're being honest with you)? Do you try going through your local writers center? Or do you search the internet for other people who want to find a critique partner?

I'm aware of Mary Kole's Kidlit blog, where she has occasional Critique Connections that aim to give readers the opportunity to search for like-minded critique partners. This is a fantastic initiative and is actually the place where I found my own PB critique partner.

Let's bring on more of these types of initiatives!

2 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Hi Rachel,

I do have a critique partner. I met her at a conference. We had to do peer critiques and the second I read her story, I fell in love! She is super talented and we both write in rhyme, so she is the perfect person for me to get feedback from.

You definitely need to find a partner whose writing and comments resonate with you.

Corey

Rachael Harrie said...

Hi Corey,

That's so true. It's great you found such a good partner. I guess it takes a bit of trust on both sides while you see how well you match up, but it can be so worth it in the end!

Rach

Related Posts with Thumbnails